- Why PEI Potatoes
- Appetizers and Snacks
- Bread and Sweet Treats
- Comfort Food
- Cooking for One
- Entertaining and Holidays
- Fast Weeknight Meals
- Homegrown Recipes
- Kid Friendly
- Main Dishes
- Side Dishes
- Soups, Stews and Chowders
- Summer Grilling
- World Flavours
- PEI Potato Industry
- Contact Us
- Media Centre
PEI Potato and Leek Soup
A warm and hearty soup for even the coldest of winter days!
Prep Time & Yield
|3 large||PEI Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and large diced|
|2 tbsp (30 ml)||Olive Oil or Butter|
|2 cups (500 ml)||Leeks, washed & chopped|
|2||Garlic cloves, chopped|
|1 medium||Onion, chopped|
|1 tbsp (15 ml)||Summer Savoury, dried|
|1/4 cup (50 ml)||All Purpose Flour|
|5 cups (1250 ml)||Chicken Stock, Vegetable Stock, or Water|
|1/2 tbsp (8 ml)||Fresh Thyme, removed from stems|
|1 cup (250 ml)||Milk|
|to taste||Salt and Pepper|
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat; add oil, leeks, garlic, onion and summer savory.
2. Reduce heat and cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are softened; approximately 7-8 minutes.
3. Add flour; stir to coat, do not brown.
4. Add chicken stock stirring constantly; add potatoes and thyme and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Puree in a food processor or blender in small batches.
6. Return to pot, add milk and season with salt & pepper, heat thoroughly and serve .
Chef’s Tips :
• To make a dairy free soup, replace the milk with chicken or vegetable stock and use the olive oil.
• Garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired.