- Why PEI Potatoes
- Appetizers and Snacks
- Bread and Sweet Treats
- Comfort Food
- Cooking for One
- Entertaining and Holidays
- Fast Weeknight Meals
- Homegrown Recipes
- Kid Friendly
- Main Dishes
- Side Dishes
- Soups, Stews and Chowders
- Summer Grilling
- World Flavours
- PEI Potato Industry
- Contact Us
- Media Centre
PEI Potato, Corn and Bean Chowder
A hearty vegetarian chowder!
Prep Time & Yield
|3 medium||PEI White Potatoes, large dice|
|1 tbsp (15 ml)||Vegetable Oil|
|1 medium||Onion, chopped|
|1||Garlic clove, minced|
|2||Celery stalks, thinly sliced|
|1||Carrot, small dice|
|2.5 cups (625 ml)||Vegetable Stock or Water|
|1.5 cups (375 ml)||Cream or Milk|
|1 can (19 oz)||White Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed|
|1.5 cups (375 ml)||Cream Corn|
|2 tsp (10 ml)||Basil, dried|
|2 tsp (10 ml)||Tarragon, dried|
|to taste||Salt and Pepper|
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat; add oil then add onion, garlic, potatoes, celery and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently .
2. Add vegetable stock (or water) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
3. Add cream (or milk), kidney beans, corn and spices; heat thoroughly.
4. Season with salt & pepper and serve immediately.
• Leftover portions can be cooled, refrigerated and served the next day.
• Low-sodium vegetable stock can also be used.
• Red kidney beans can be substituted for white beans.
• 1 tbsp fresh herbs = 1 tsp dry herbs